Welcome to the Meatless Monday recipe post!
Meatless Monday was created in 2003 to improve health of individuals, countries, and the planet. You can learn about the movement here. You do not have to give up your protein packed day for a meatless monday, and we are here to show you how! Every week we will share our favorite meatless recipes, give it a try!
This is a great fall dish adapted from The Sweet Twist of Blogging. It’s a crock meal so it’s easy and great for the day when you just don’t have time for a super time consuming meal. This has all of the comfort of chili, without the guilt. The best part? It’s packed with protein from both beans and quinoa. Add whatever toppings you want on the end to make it uniquely yours!
Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- 1 – 14oz can Black Beans
- 1 – 14oz can Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 1 – 14oz can Light Red Kidney Beans
- 1 – 14oz can Heinz Vegetarian Beans
- 1 – 28oz can diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 an onion chopped into small pieces
- 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 small container of mushrooms
- 1 Bell Peppers (whatever color you prefer) chopped into small pieces
- 2 tbsp oil of your choice
- 1c Quinoa
- Chili Spices
- 1/2tbs chili powder
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/8tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8tsp garlic powder
- 1/4tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8tsp fresh ground pepper
- Heat oil in saucepan. When oil is hot add onions, and cook until transparent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Drain and rinse kidney and black beans, add to crock.
- Add vegetarian beans, tomatoes, chili spices, mushrooms, garlic/onion mixture, peppers, and chili spices.
- Set crock to low and cook for 4-6 hours. I’ve let this cook up to 8 hours and have had no issues.
- 1 hour before you’d like to serve the chili add rinsed quinoa to the crock and stir.
- Chili is ready to serve once quinoa is cooked through.
- Add whatever toppings you’d like and enjoy!
This is so GOOD! Even my meat loving husband enjoys this recipe! Have a recipe you’d like to share? Send it our way!